Loss of agricultural land, crops, plantation, animals, and implements due to flood have severe adverse impact on the affected community. Mass awareness on various safety tips can however help in reducing flood induced losses.
- Harvest the matured crops immediately on getting heavy rainfall forecast, and keep the harvested produce in safe place.
- Don’t leave the harvested produce in the open field.
- Keep cattle / animals in the shed, and ensure their safety.
- Provide clean drinking water to animals.
- Adopt submergence tolerant varieties of crops in flood prone areas.
- Drain out excess water from the fields after floods.
- In heavily flood affected areas, select high lands for raising community nursery with short duration high yielding rice varieties. Farmers could undertake transplantation after the flood water has receded.
- If there is total damage of seedlings or rice crop in the main field, undertake late, and staggered planting with the old seedlings of the varieties if the field is heavily damaged.
- In high land situation, arhar, and sesame can be selected for cultivation.
- In partially affected fields, drain out excess water from rice field and apply 1/3 N+ 50% KO as top dressing if the crop is at tillering stage.
- Undertake direct seeding of rice with the photoinsensitive short duration variety if crop is damaged due to flood.
- If the seeds are washed away by floods, make alternate arrangement of seeds.
- Apply excess N fertilizer to the flood affected crops after receding of flood water.
- Don’t allow waterlogging for long, as it leads to rotting and development of diseases.