Fire is an important part of our lives. We use it to cook food, and we use it as a source of warmth on a cold night. When on rampage, fire can bring injury – and even death – to those we love. Unwelcome fires can erupt while your loved ones are just playing.
ENSURE your smart fire safety kids always remember:
- Never to play with matches, or cigarette lighter.
- Keep matches, or cigarette lighter away from their sister, brother and friends.
- To remind grown ups to instal smoke detector, and carbon mono oxide alarms and ensure these to be functional by checking these often.
- To prepare an escape plan to with the involvement of elders as to get everyone safely out of the house in case of a fire, or other emergency.
- To locate two exits out of every room, as also house. Bring these to the notice of the elders, and regularly practice exit drills with entire family.
- In case of a fire breaking out, quickly telling an adult, and proceeding to the nearest exit to leave the building in a calm manner following their well practiced plan.
- To cover the mouth with a cloth or towel if the smoke is bad.
- To crawl low on the floor door, or window is reached. Fresh air being heavier than smoke would be available in the proximity of the floor.
- If the clothes are on fire; drop to the ground, and roll until the flames go out.
- Never to go back inside; to wait outside at the designated spot where other family members would join according to the plan.
- To know whom to call for emergency assistance. To remember all emergency numbers, and write these at a prominent place.
- Remind that most public places such as schools, theatres, shopping malls, and hotels have clearly marked exits, and exit routes.
- To always carefully take note of fire exit information posted at public places, and locate close by exists.
- To seek assistance of an adult if there is difficulty in following fire exit instructions, or signs.